Spiced Pear Bread Pudding with Red Wine Glaze
- Created By: Bryn
- Inspired By: Hercules claiming that there's "lots of good food" at Bacchus's Cavern. - 1.19 - The Lure of the Lyre
- This recipe is based on Spiced Pear Bread Pudding with Red Wine Glaze.
- Yield: Serves 6.
- 3 c stale bread, torn or cut into 1” chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c milk
- 3/4 c apple juice
- 1/3 c + 1 t sugar
- 1 large pear, diced
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c raisins
- 1/4 c red wine
Red Wine Glaze
- 1/4 c red wine + reserved wine used for raisins
- 1 T butter
- 2 T sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl combine the raisins and ¼ c red wine and set aside. Next, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg and teaspoon of sugar in a bowl and add the diced pear. Toss until well coated and set aside. Grease a 9” x 13” baking pan and add the chunks of bread. Whisk together the eggs, milk, apple juice and sugar together in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the bread. Drain the wine from the raisins and reserve. Add the raisins and the pears to the bread & custard mixture and mix gently until everything is evenly combined. Bake for 20-25 minutes and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the reserved wine that you used to soak the raisins and the other 1/4 cup of wine and whisk together well. Continue whisking while the glaze comes to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 3 minutes, or until you have a smooth, light glaze. Remove from heat. Serve the bread pudding drizzled with plenty of glaze and enjoy!