Red Velvet Battered Onion Rings
- Created By: Bryn
- Inspired By: Hercules claiming that there's "lots of good food" at Bacchus's Cavern. - 1.19 - The Lure of the Lyre
- This recipe is based on Red Velvet Battered Onion Rings.
- Yield: Makes ?
- 6 onions cut into rings.
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 2/3 Cups Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Oz. Red Food Coloring
- 1 Egg
- 5 Large Ice Cubes
- Extra Flour
- Oil for Frying
- The batter is fairly easy to make, but the important thing here is to make it at the very end when the oil and onions are already ready to go. Whisk the wet ingredients very well.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the ice to the wet ingredients, then pour it into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Sprinkle the onions with salt and dredge in flour to help the batter stick. Dip in the batter, and fry at 350 for 5 minutes until onion is fully cooked, flipping if needed. Set to cool.
- Serve with some sauces, I preferred BBQ, ranch, and honey dijon/honey mustard.