Once Were Warriors
- A family descended from Maori warriors is bedeviled by a violent father and the societal problems of being treated as outcasts.
- Set in urban Auckland (New Zealand) this movie tells the story of the Heke family. Jake Heke is a violent man who beats his wife frequently when drunk, and yet obviously loves both her and his family. The movie follows a period of several weeks in the family's life showing Jake's frequent outburst of violence and the effect that this has on his family. The youngest son is in trouble with the police and may be put into a foster home while the elder son is about to join a street gang. Jake's daughter has her own serious problems which are a key element in the plot.
- See also the sequel: "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?"
- Calvin Tuteao plays Taka (Gang Leader)
- Cliff Curtis plays Bully
- Ray Bishop plays King Hitter (in pub)
- Rena Owen plays Beth Heke