Marco Death Pudding
- Created By: Bryn, but named by Alayia
- Inspired By: Marco's tragic death scene. - 1.43 - The Beasts Beneath
- Based on one of many "Worms in Dirt" pudding recipes, but with a golden tone to match the desert. Feel free to change cookie or pudding flavors to whatever you prefer.
- Yield: 6 cups/servings.
- 1 15-ounce package vanilla sandwich cookies (you can also substitute graham crackers)
- 1 3.9-ounce package butterscotch instant pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
- Gummy bones (you can also substitute candy or marshmallow bones)
- 6 Swedish Fish (or any fish-shaped candy)
- 6 bamboo kabob skewers
- 1/4th cup orange bobas (for the monster eggs)
- 1/4th cup chocolate 'rocks' (for the rocks the cadets stand on for safety)
- Place the vanilla sandwich cookies in a large zip-top plastic bag, and use a rolling pin to crush them into small pieces. Don't worry about removing the cream filling before putting the cookies in the bag – at first they will clump together, but as you continue to crush them, the cream will blend with the cookies and you won't even notice it. Continue to crush the cookies in the bag until they are mostly in fine crumbs.
- Next, make the pudding. Pour the dry pudding mix into a large bowl, then add the cold milk. Whisk everything together until all of the dry pudding dissolves and it's smooth and free of lumps. Let the pudding sit for about 5 minutes, until it thickens and is no longer liquid. If it has the delightfully gloppy texture of pudding, you're ready to go on.
- Add the whipped topping and mix well. (If you're like me and forgot to take it out of the freezer in time for it to thaw, try running the container holding the whipped cream under some warm water for a few minutes.)
- Add approximately one-third of the cookie crumbs. You don't have to measure, just eyeball 1/3rd of the bag and pour it in. Gently stir everything together until the streaks of whipped topping disappear, and the cookies are well-mixed into the pudding.
- Divide the pudding mixture evenly between six cups. Tap the cups on the countertop a few times to level the pudding, then insert a few gummy bones into the pudding and press them down a little so that they're embedded.
- Pour the cookie crumbs over the pudding and gummy bones so that the entire top is covered with "sand." Smooth it into an even layer with your hands.
- Dig out a little divot in the "sand" and pour out a spoonful of orange bobas, to represent a nest of monster eggs.
- Sort out the reddish-brown chocolate rocks from the mix, and lay them out in a "path" formation across the cup.
- Finally, stick a kabob skewer into the candy fish and leave "Marco's Staff" sticking forlornly out of the "sand". :D
- Note: Best if consumed within hours of creation. Can be refrigerated, but the cookies will get soggy and the bobas will deflate.