Lemon Barley Water
- Found By: Bryn.
- Inspired By: The Academy Cook who is angry about his life and rolling around in barley. - 1.44 - Parents' Day
- Yield: 4 cups.
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 4 (1-inch) strips lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey, or more as desired
- 3/4 cup gin
- Lemon slices, as garnish
- To clean the pearl barley, place it in a fine mesh strainer and pour boiling water over it. Drain.
- Combine the drained barley, water, and lemon peel in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain into a clean container, adding fresh water to bring to 4 cups in volume. Add the lemon juice and honey to taste, and stir well to combine. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Serve chilled, mixed with gin, and garnished with lemon slices.