Cranberry Red Wine Meatballs
- Created By: Bryn
- Inspired By: Hercules claiming that there's "lots of good food" at Bacchus's Cavern. - 1.19 - The Lure of the Lyre
- This recipe is based on Cranberry-Red Wine Meatballs.
- Yield: Makes 3 1/2 dozen meatballs.
Ingredients for the meatballs
- 1 lb ground chuck†
- 4 oz dried bread crumbs†
- 4 large eggs
- 4 oz whole milk
- 6 oz grated Romano†
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves finely diced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Note that (†) measurements are by weight
Preparation for the meatballs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in large bowl. (I toasted some 7 Grain bread for the breadcrumbs and used my food processor to thoroughly obliterate the onions and garlic).
- Roll loosely or use a small scoop to scoop meatballs about the size of a golf ball and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes.
- To freeze: After forming the meatballs, place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Freeze until solid and transfer into a freezer bag.
- Place them on a greased baking sheet into a 350-degree oven, frozen, and cook for 18-20 minutes.
Ingredients for the sauce
- 2 cups whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of your favorite red wine (I used our Cab)
- 2 tsp hot Chinese mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 batch of meatballs, cooked
- Add cranberry sauce, brown sugar, red wine, mustard, and Worcestershire to a sauce pan. Heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the meatballs to the pan, stirring to coat and heat thoroughly.
- Serve warm. (Alternately, you can pour the sauce over the meatballs in a crockpot set to warm for serving.)