- Found By: Bryn.
- Inspired By: The Academy Cook who is angry about his life and rolling around in barley. - 1.44 - Parents' Day
- Yield: 8 to 10 slices.
- 10 ounces barley flour, approximately 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce baking powder, approximately 2 1/2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus extra for pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat a gas grill on low heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Lightly rub the sides and bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven with canola oil and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, 1/4 cup oil, eggs and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Dutch oven; do not cover with a lid. Place the Dutch oven on the grill and close the lid of the grill. Cook with the lid shut for 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F. Allow to cool in Dutch oven for at least 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Cook's note: For baking in a traditional oven, bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees F.