Barley Beef Stew
- This recipe was found by Ty. It's the non-vegetarian version of the Barley Stew.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, lean, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 2 cups diced turnip
- 1 large potato, cut in cubes
- 1 cup green peas, frozen, thawed
- 2 tablespoons flour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water, optional
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven until almost crisp.
- Toss stew beef pieces with the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add to the bacon mixture.
- Add olive oil, mushrooms, celery, and onion.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef is browned and onion is tender.
- Add beef broth and bay leaf. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add barley, carrots, and turnip. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer for about 25 minutes longer, or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Add peas and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- If desired, stir in the flour and water mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.